Position: Gift-in-Kind Program Intern
Reports To: Director, Community Impact
Division: Community Impact
Position Objective: Through a partnership with the Community Impact Department, this internship will provide the United Way of the Dutchess-Orange Region with a more effective and efficient Gifts-in-Kind program in which the community needs will be better met.
I.Nature and Scope of Responsibilities:
- Research existing GIK programs throughout the region and country (for example: Good 360 and other United Way GIK programs)
- Determine if their methods are more effective and if they can be applied to the UWDOR program
- Research Good 360 registration and facilitate process for CI staff
- Build on existing relationships with the local non-profit organizations that utilize the GIK program in order to better serve these organizations.
- Catholic Charities
- Easter Seals
- Salvation Army
- Child Abuse Prevention Center
- And more…
- Organize, document, and track inventory of donated goods
- Organize bi-monthly “Days of Sharing”:
- Clean and organize Poughkeepsie office basement space in order for non-profit representatives to “shop” for items
- Utilize volunteers, such as Young Leaders, for additional “man-power”
- Use tracking system to document item movement
- Retrieve items from retailers in the area, mainly Newburgh Bed, Bath, & Beyond
- Maintain relationship with existing businesses and retailers that provide donations and create new relationships with other businesses/retailers that can provide donations
- Attend and assist in the organization of United Way volunteer event, Days of Caring, and Days of Sharing as determined by Community Impact Department
II.Marginal Job Functions:
- Other duties as determined by the Director or Associate of Community Impact and/or the President
III. Working Relationships:
Volunteers of the Community Impact Division; United Way staff; staff and volunteers of funded and partner programs; PointsOfLights/HandsOn Connect staff; leaders, staff and volunteers of nonprofit agencies; representatives of government, business, and other community leaders; staff and volunteers of other United Ways.
Existing Contact List:
- Bed, Bath & Beyond, Newburgh, NY
- Joann - (845) 566-6949
- Woodbury Commons
- IZOD - (845) 928-7024
- Calvin Klein - (845) 928-9080
- Van Heusen - (845) 928-0623
- Hugo Boss - (845) 928-4333
IV. Skills Required:
- Strong project management skills with timely and consistent attention to follow-up
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment to accomplish goals
- Proven record of establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with inpiduals and groups having perse interests and backgrounds
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a personal manner
- Extensive knowledge of computers and software, especially Word and Excel
V. Experience Required:
- Obtaining a Bachelors Degree in human development, human services, physiology, public administration, or other related discipline. Extensive volunteer experience preferred.
VI. Salary Range:
- Non-paid internship. College internship or course credit given, upon Community Impact Director’s approval.
Prospective applicants are requested to send a detailed cover letter and resume to
The online HTML CheatSheet website shoult be the first bookmark of every web developer. It is the best one-page resource to generate the desired markup.