Minimum Age:18+, Court Ordered Volunteer - Allowed
Food Donation Transporter in Ulster, Dutchess or Orange County
“Food rescue” is recovering leftover, unused or unserved foods in edible condition that was otherwise going to waste from retailers, restaurants, manufacturers, growers or dining halls and distributing it to local emergency feeding programs. Often the food is near the “sell by” date, or has surface blemishes making it undesirable on shelves.
FeedHV is a food rescue network of food donors (like farms, restaurants and food retailers) feeding agencies (food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters, senior centers and more) and volunteers who bring the food from the donor directly to that pantry or soup kitchen in your area, using a free software program to make all the connections happen.
Ways to volunteer:
- "Food runner" Pick up food donation from donor and transport to assigned assisting feeding agency within your specified desired geographic parameters
- Help with volunteer outreach
- Sign up to harvest fruit and vegetables left unharvested on farms and deliver to agencies with one of our partner agencies
- Sign up to process seasonal fruit and vegetables into sauces, soups, stews, or frozen for assisting feeding agencies with one of our partner agencies
Sound good? It's fun!
You must be 18 years old or older, accompanied by someone 18 years or older. In order to be a food transporter, you must have a car.
Please visit www.FeedHV.org/about/ for more information.
Right now, we cover Orange, Ulster and Dutchess counties, and Putnam county for harvesting and processing opportunities with one of our partners.
Once you sign-up to volunteer and take the food safety quiz, don't forget to download our free Chowmatch app for your smartphone to see available food runs! Simple and easy.
Sign-up online to volunteer at www.feedhv.org/sign-up/
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: